There are few dishes on this planet as universally loved as tacos. Handheld perfection, happiness in a dish. If this is your first go at homemade Barbacoa Beef and fresh-made tortillas, your crew is in for a delicious treat. Taco Tuesday, sorted.
*This recipe takes a little extra time to prepare, but the wait (and more importantly, the taste), is WELL worth it.
Barbacoa Beef Tacos with Homemade Tortillas
Serves a hungry crew
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ cup boiling hot water
4 – 5 pound chuck roast, fat trimmed and cut into large chunks
¼ cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves
½ medium onion, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
2 chipotles in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup beef stock
1 X 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
3 bay leaves
Handful of fresh thyme
Quick Pineapple Salsa
1 cup diced pineapple
1 cup diced avocado
½ cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Pinch of salt and pepper
- First, prepare the beef. Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a dutch oven (or large oven-safe pot) over medium-heat and pour in the olive oil. Season the beef liberally on all sides with salt and pepper. Working in batches as necessary, brown the beef on all sides, 4 – 5 minutes.
- Combine the garlic, onion, lime juice, spices, stock, green chilies, and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour braising liquid over the beef in the dutch oven, then add the bay leaves and thyme. Transfer to the oven and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, or until the meat is tender, and shreds easily with two forks.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the tortillas.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and olive oil, and give everything a good mix. Add the water, then mix together with a fork until a dough starts to form. Turn out onto a floured surface, then knead until a soft dough ball forms (5 – 6 minutes). Wrap in plastic wrap and rest on a warm counter for 30 minutes. (Note * this dough can be prepared ahead of time. Just knead and form, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the fridge overnight before rolling out).
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and shape into small dough balls. Roll out into 6-inch rounds. Heat a cast-iron pan over medium heat, then cook the tortillas for 1 – 2 minutes per side, until golden and perfect. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the salsa. Combine pineapple, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime, and a hit of salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Easy peasy.
- When the barbacoa beef is all set to go, shred with 2 forks and toss with the pan juices.
- Serve that incredible beef with your homemade tortillas, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, and fresh lime and cilantro. Eat Delicious!!!