Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Roasted Garlic Hummus & Cucumber Salad
Weeknight Meal Comfort = Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Roasted Garlic Hummus and Cucumber Salad. Hot Damn! Mediterranean inspired deliciousness. Best part of this recipe? Several items can be made ahead, ensuring weeknight suppertime is an chill as possible. Awesome. Make this recipe y’all.
Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Roasted Garlic Hummus and Cucumber Salad
Makes 4 – 6 servings
1 ½ pounds ground lamb
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 free range egg
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Tomato Cucumber Salad
½ English cucumber
2 large plum tomatoes
½ red onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1 pound dry chickpeas, cooked and cooled
1 large bulb of garlic
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
Juice of ½ a lemon
¼ cup water
⅓ cup tahini
¼ cup olive oil
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons pomegranate arils
½ cup Greek yoghurt
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
Handful of fresh mint leaves
Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
Pita bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, make the hummus. Slice about 1/8 an inch off the end of the garlic bulb, exposing the cloves (but leaving the stem intact). Drizzle the cloves with olive oil, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, then wrap tightly in tinfoil. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cloves are very soft. Squeeze the garlic cloves onto a board, then mash them into a paste. Awesome.
- Grab a food processor. In the base of the food processor, combine the cooked and cooled chickpeas, garlic paste, and salt and pulse for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the processor down if necessary. Add the lemon, tahini, and water, and pulse for 30 more seconds, until combined. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the hummus is smooth and glorious. Set aside. Hummus can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Meatball time. Combine all of the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix well, then shape into small, golf ball-sized meatballs. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat and pour in the oil. When hot, add the balls and brown on all sides. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes (or until cooked through). Awesome.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Combine tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, oil, lemon, and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Toss to mix and set aside.
- Divide about ¼ cup of hummus onto each serving plate, then top with meatballs. Divide the salad onto each plate, the dollop on the yoghurt. Sprinkle over the feta cheese, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, and garnish with mint and cilantro leaves. Serve with pita bread. Delicious!
It looks amazing! Thank you for the recipe