Traeger Smoked Massaman Beef Curry
Curry Night = Best Night.
Traeger Smoked Massaman Curry
Makes 6 – 8 servings
2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons Massaman curry paste
2 tablespoons grapeseed (or vegetable) oil
10 cardamom pods, crushed
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
1 large Spanish onion, diced
2 tablespoons finely diced cilantro stems
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 X 14-ounce cans coconut milk
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 lemongrass stalk, halved
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 ½ pounds baby potatoes, scrubbed (but not peeled)
½ tablespoon tamarind paste
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
¼ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
Handful of fresh Thai basil leaves
1 – 2 Thai red chilies, finely sliced
Cooked Jasmine rice, to serve
1. When ready to cook, start the Traeger on Smoke with the lid open until a fire is established (4 – 5 minutes). Set the grill temperature to 325 degrees F, and preheat, lid closed, for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the beef and curry paste, and mix until everything is well coated. Set aside.
3. Heat a large Dutch oven (or oven-safe pot) over medium-heat and pour in the oil. When hot, add the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, and star anise, and cook for 45 seconds, until fragrant. Add the onion, cilantro stems, and garlic, season with a pinch of salt, and cook until softened and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the beef (and any remaining curry paste chilling in the bowl) to the pot and brown on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Pour in 1 can of the coconut milk, the fish sauce, beef stock, and add the lemongrass. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then transfer to the grill. Cook for 1 1/2 hours.
5. After 1 1/2 hours, pour in the second can of coconut milk, then add the potatoes, tamarind, and brown sugar. Transfer back to the grill and cook for another 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until the potatoes are fork tender, the sauce has thickened, and the beef is melt-in-your-mouth perfection.
6. Stir in the peanuts, then top with fresh basil, and, if you like it spicy, sliced red chilies. Serve with jasmine rice. Delicious!!