General Tso, I love your chicken.

CFL_1178-Edit-Edit

General Tso, I love your chicken. So. Crazy. Good.

Over the past few years I’ve become a morning person. Legit. Every morning I wake up to the annoying scream of my phone alarm at 5AM, and half asleep head out the door to the gym. This works well for me for 2 reasons: I have better/more productive days, and working in food, running is always a good choice. But in my heart of hearts, I will be now and forever, a night owl.

The night means night time cravings, and this (for me anyway) usually means something spicy, greasy and/or deep fried. Or all of the above. Forever.

Here’s an old fav of mine, perfect to cure the nighttime cravings. This one is slightly healthier – the chicken is baked, not fried, and the dish is ready in under 30 minutes. Bonus! Cure that craving, watch Fallon, repeat.

CFL_1167-Edit

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

3 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup red chilis

1/3 cup green onions

2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Preheat your oven to 450.

Top a baking tray with a rack.

Cut your chicken into 1 inch chunks. Prepare 3 bowls, 1 with your flour, 1 with your eggs, and one with the breadcrumbs & panko. Working in batches, top your chicken in the flour, then the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs, getting them completely coated.

Bake for 15 minutes, turning halfway through.

In a large saucepan, combine your stock, hoisin, soy, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and corn starch, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, drop in your chilis. After 3 minutes, add your chicken, and toss to get the chicken covered. Remove from the heat, and toss in your green onions.

Serve up with some rice, and top your chicken with sesame seeds.

CFL_1154-Edit

Adapted from Damn Delicious.

19 Comments

1. cass0327 says:

Man I love your blog and writing and this dish is going into my recipe box for sure!! Looks delish!!

2. Natalie Katz says:

So delicious, have to make this ASAP!!

Liked by 1 person

3. Angie says:

I’m got to make this soon, looks fantastic! !

Liked by 1 person

4. roseluxton says:

FANTASTIC!!! Man I need this NOW! Loving your Instagram feed too ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

5. This sounds and looks delicious. I’ll be trying this when I’m back home!

Liked by 1 person

6. Nobby says:

This time my daughter made it. We love your recipe, love love lovely๐Ÿ˜‹.

Liked by 1 person

7. Ali says:

Can not wait to make this and your Bip Bim Bop ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹ I love how easy the recipe and directions are to follow. Also loving your Instagram page. You really make it hard to diet or juice cleanse whenever your feed pictures pop up!

Liked by 1 person

8. Is it possible to use regular breadcrumbs instead of panko? I live in the middle of nowhere and cannot find them. I must make this chicken!

Liked by 1 person

9. wee eats says:

This looks so good! I’ve never made General Tso’s because I have an aversion to deep frying, so I love that your version is baked. I can’t wait to make this! Any tips on where I can find the red chiles?

Liked by 1 person

10. Geoff hodges says:

Just add ginger and broccoli and this recipe is about as close as it gets to the ginger chicken dish once offered at the sadly now closed Baby Buddha in the west village. An amazing affordable tasty Chinese that nursed many a hangover.